BLOC training 15 September 2013¶
This is a training/revision session for BLOCs.
Anyone who has not gone through the revised training schedule cannot act as BLOC in the upcoming run.
I know it's an awkward date - but that's the only time we could get.
Attendees -(N.B. max. 6 in MLCR)¶
- Ed Overton
- Henry Nebrensky
- Pierrick Hanlet
- Ian Taylor
Advanced Target & PPS training session¶
PPS (I) - 9:00¶
Will run target with Muon Test permit, will cover how to start setting up PPS without mimic.
Target Theory - 9:30¶
0) a) How the target works (explanation by poster)
b) Control systems and Vac Rack (inc. access)
c) Walkabout checklist items
1) a) Target powerup (can be done with frame raised)
b) Basic (shifter-level) operation
c) Monitoring plots and reports
d) Checking the Target is operating to the correct spill (can be done with frame raised)
e) Checking the beambump is active
f) PPS interlocks; PPS vs BPS, etc.
g) MICE Controlled Entry procedure
Dipping into ISIS - 10:00¶
2) a) Finding the ISIS Beam
b) Checking the next spill injection losses (i.e. setting too long or short user delay).
c) Optimising timing (playing with user delay to optimise beam loss profile) Intrusive / Requires help from ISIS:
"Intrusive" activities - 11:30¶
(NB get screenshots and timing!)
3) Running without the beambump (and how it changes everything!)
Needs ISIS to turn off beambump temporarily
4) a) Overview of ISIS BLMs and trips (minor vs major, I forget the terminology)
Would it be possible to get this from Dean Adams or ISIS directly?
b) Run at the margin to try to see some of the minor trips (this would
be better done with the beamloss limit reduced to say 1V to reduce
5) Example of a BPS Trip (and what to do!)
Magnets - cooling water etc. - after lunch¶
For future reference, some of this would be done better during the shutdown.
The following probably isn't in chronological order:
Hall A/C Units¶
- Turning on/off
Decay Solenoid Cryo¶
- Error messages
- Mechanical Beamstop removal/replacement
- Swapping power packs
Conventional / "Beamline" Magnets¶
- Cooling water
- Turning off
- Switch PSUs on/off
- PPS interlocks
- Controls – VME PCs
- Status Panel
- Which permits are needed for what
- Test Switch (location)
- DSA issues
- SC Magnet and other PPS featurettes
Response procedure ¶
- what to do when MLCR rings up in a panic...
- remote MOM to take MTENABL to ISIS
- procedure and requirements
- Open discussion of responsibility documents, shift rotas, etc.
(aim is to finish before 16:00)