Note that day-return and ten-trip tickets for this service can also be bought on the bus.
Discounted bus travel can be added on to rail tickets to Didcot Parkway via the Plusbus scheme.
From Didcot Parkway: an "open booking" lets you use a taxi when you arrive, even if you're not sure in advance when that will be. You must use a cab from a participating company, presently only Priors or Harolds (make sure to explain that you're "on the Rutherford list" when you get in).
To arrange an open booking, contact the MICE administrators (Rose and Debbie) or, if you have a budget code, RAL Transport (x5317) the day before.
Local destinations from RAL: contact the MICE administrators (Rose and Debbie) or, if you have a budget code, either RAL Transport (x5317) or (out of hours) the security desk.
Other destinations (e.g. the airport): contact the MICE administrators (Rose and Debbie) or, if you have a budget code, RAL Transport (x5317) the day before.
If you are happy to pay the fare yourself (e.g. personal use), there is an external phone and contact details for local taxi firms on the reception desk at the main gate.
Other public transport links¶
- Railway - Rail journey planner (Useful station codes: Didcot Parkway = "DID", London Paddington="PAD", Reading="RDG", Oxford="OXF")
- Railair coach service (Heathrow Airport to Reading)
- Oxford Airline coach service (Gatwick and Heathrow Airports to Oxford)
- Oxford Tube and X90 coach services (London to Oxford)
STFC self-drive vehicles¶
The following rules apply to all use of vehicles provided by STFC - this includes both STFC-owned vehicles and also any rental car hired via an STFC budget code:
- Vehicle keys are to be secured after use in either a key press or cupboard.
- The logbook to be completed by the driver for either the journey or full days use and signed. This allows you to check who has driven the vehicle, if there is an offence committed then we can identify who was driving the vehicle at the time.
- A vehicle check must be completed by the driver to ensure the roadworthiness and serviceability of the vehicle before it is driven.
- Private use of the vehicle is forbidden as it is not covered for this purpose under STFC vehicle insurance.
- The vehicle should not be parked off site after working hours without seeking permission from the Transport Manager (Mike Evason, x5544).
- All drivers of the vehicle must have an STFC permit to drive.
If you are renting as a private party and paying by cash or credit card, they cannot bring the car to the lab, but they will pick you up at the gate to get you to their office for paperwork, etc. You will need to have at least two forms of ID on you (they tend to prefer driver's license and passport), to know the address where you are staying and apparently your contact phone number (when you are at RAL for a short period of time, you tend to not remember your UK cell number).
Enterprise Car Rental in Newbury: phone number is 01635 524600 (John T or Scott).