Monte Carlo wish list » History » Revision 14
Monte Carlo wish list¶
What we have currently:
- Well documented set up to pull in Monte Carlo configuration if it gets provided by the engineers
- Well documented set up to configure whatever fields and geometry people need
- Well documented module to generate multivariate gaussian beams with a reasonably flexible parameter set
- Well documented module to track and write out Monte Carlo data
- Poorly documented and possibly buggy tracker digitisation
- Elementary but probably reasonable TOF digitisation - but no user documentation
What I think we need in order to perform an end-to-end Monte Carlo of Step IV:
- Step IV MICE "As-designed" (e.g. legacy/FILES/.../Step4.dat) set up needs to be checked and fixed - are the coil geometries correct? Can we get a reasonable beam through? What are the design absorber settings? Are they the same as what we have in Step4.dat
- Infrastructure - need to have central store of datacards, field maps, geometry, etc
- Functioning digitisation for the tracker
- Trigger digitisation (what form should this take)?
- KL, EMR, Ckov digitisation
- Scalars digitisation
- "As-built geometry" and CDB interface needs to be smoother (operational issue to do with getting geometries into CDB)
What I think we need to get a batch production system (owned by Janusz Martyniak at Imperial, needs oversight):
- Installation of MAUS on GRID + regular updates
Batch production script
- Script to call the batch production, put it in data store
- Numbering system for real data, MC of real data, MC of "hypothetical runs"
- ... probably some stuff I forgot...
What I think we need to improve the "user experience":
- Quick start guide + examples (with some automated testing)
- Track a beam through and generate beta function/emittance plots
- Track a beam through and generate reconstructed data -> residuals/emittance plot at the Tracker Reference Plane
- Anything else?
Documentation maus_user_guide.pdf should be available to download/htmlarised from the wiki MICEModules.pdf needs updating and integrating with maus_user_guide.pdf
- Optics calculation needs to be tidied
- Python interface for extracting the field values
- Automatic build of OpenGL visualisation
- Output of built physical components in verbose mode