Executive Board: Meeting 25 March 2011 (1 comment)

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

The agenda should be as follows -- please let me know if something is missing.
  • review of actions and matters arising (Chris and Alain)
  • Matters arising from TB (Andy sent TB minutes-- enclosed)
  • Matters arising from VC
  • cost and schedule review status
  • Marco's departure, and who will replace him for beamline?
  • agenda of meeting in July (Oxford) (John Cobb)
  • Common fund (Ken Long)
  • Editorial board (Maurizio)
  • Speakers board (Vittorio)
  • A.o.B.

MICE: MICE News - 13 March 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 13 March 2011

Status following Power Supply Problems

The DAQ system has been tested and appears to be fully operational.
All the DAQ pcs behave normally
All VME, NIM and CAMAC crate work normally.
All the VME boards respond normally to the initialization process and
some data has been taken with a pulser trigger.
The logic and distribution of the DAQ Trigger, the DAQ busy, the Start of Spill
and the End of Spill signals appear normal.

That's it for the good news.
Unfortunately, the High Voltage crate supplying the TOFs and KL has been found
seriously damaged and had to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair.
This prevents us for testing the trigger logic system and the amplification/shaping
and discrimination chain for the TOF and KL signals. However, the fact that no
electronics module (VME or NIM) involved in the DAQ system has been damaged is
a strong indication that the probability of finding a damaged module in the
crates is small.
The TOF and KL shapers will be tested manually on Tuesday the 22nd since they
are critical, home made, items.
A test run is scheduled on Wednesday the 23rd with only GVA1, the CKOV and
the PBM detectors read out.

MICE: MICE News - 13 February 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 13 February 2011

RAL plan to take CASTOR down next Tuesday for upgrades to the disk
This will change the way CASTOR handles checksumming, so with a bit of
luck it should then become possible to further streamline the data

Printing in R76
Instructions from Kevin Dunford on printing with the OKI printer in R76
on to three printers in PPD can be found at

Wireless networks at RAL
Some useful information on the wireless at RAL thanks to Dave Sankey.

You all know and love our ticketing system for WiFi at RAL.
Since before it was even introduced we have been pushing for a system
better suited to long term visitors and over the past few months
there has finally been some useful progress.

In particular, if you are a regular visitor to RAL you can now have a
permanent account.

Thus today, if you look on the RAL wireless network you see three
different SSIDs:
i) STFC-Guest
ii) STFC-Facilities-Users
iii) STFC-Staff

The first of these, STFC-Guest, is the SSID you use if you are an
infrequent visitor to RAL (someone who has not been registered in our
Accommodation system CDR).

The second of these, STFC-Facilities-Users, is the SSID you use if
you are a frequent visitor to RAL who has been registered in CDR and
who has a site access card - the new mechanism.

(The third, STFC-Staff, is intended for members of STFC, where
instead of having to authenticate you are on a captive network from
where you need to VPN into the RAL internal network using your STFC

Now for the details...
STFC-Guest needs little further comment. Each time you come you need
to request a ticket through your nominal RAL supervisor (generally
Rose Hayes) and you use the ticket details to authenticate and gain
access to our visitors network. You can request a ticket for a
suitable period (for example a one month ticket) and you can request
that your ticket details be emailed to you prior to your arrival, so
that you can have access as soon as you arrive.

The STFC-Facilities-Users SSID on the other hand doesn't use tickets.
Instead you have a 'permanent' account, tied to your registration in
CDR, and you use these credentials to authenticate and gain access to
the same visitors network as for STFC-Guest. The advantage of course
is that once set up your credentials remain valid for the duration of
your registration in our system.

The procedure for enabling this is that first you need to have your
status changed from Visitor to Facility User and be assigned a
Federal ID. You then need to have the account enabled and you need
to set a password.

We have now completed the first of these sets of steps for those of
you who are registered in CDR. The last step involves you passing by
our Computing Group to set a password that meets our requirements and
to sign that you accept our Acceptable Use Policy.

You should have thought of a suitable password and read this Policy
before you come. The file
<> gives
advice on what is allowed for federal passwords and our Acceptable
Use Policy is available at <;.

We also have two web sites accessible from outside which allow you to
manage your password (details in the stfc_password.pdf above which
was originally aimed at STFC staff, so the advice to contact your
local IT Service Desk team does not apply).
The first, <;testpassword,
allows you to compose and test your password and the second, a QUEST server at>, allows you, once your account has been
enabled, to change your password (this latter may complain about what
browser you use, but seems fine if you click the Ignore button).
We strongly recommend that you test your password on the testpassword
site where the reasons for failing a password are given, prior to
coming to set your password and accept our AUP. However there are
dictionary tests that this site does not perform so it is just
possible that a password acceptable on testpassword may subsequently
be rejected.

Thanks to Dave for this complete description.

MICE: MICE News - 06 February 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 06 February 2011


Following several enjoyable months as a "kept man", Malcolm has found
a bank willing to let a Physicist loose on the inside and is now working as
a Quantitative Analyst in the Financial Markets and Treasury Risk group
of Australia's oldest bank.
He is currently learning about counterparty credit risk and is working on
improving the performance and adding functionality to a Monte Carlo
system used by the bank to assess risk.
While whatever spare mental capacity may be available is mostly being
directed at the Black-Scholes equation and a long new list of
three letter acronyms, he can still just about remember what a
VSLB is and is looking forward to reading about successes in MICE
in the coming year(s).

The MOM rota for 2011 is now complete
A new ISIS schedule including the machine run-ups and MPs is available
Both have been uploaded on the MICO page

A draft run plan can also be found there as 'MOMs, ISIS and MICE
activities' -- this will be discussed further at the next MICE
collaboration meeting.

The network switches in the MLCR both appear to be working properly now
- we almost have micenet back and working again!

the LFC will have a scheduled DB update on Wed. 9th - disruption
to data access via Grid

During the last CM held at RAL Henry Nebresnky organised some tours of the Tier 1
computing facility for MICE. Anybody interested on going on such a tour
during CM29 should contact Henry before Wednesday
If there is enough response he will try to organise another one.

Executive Board: Meeting 18 February 2011 (1 comment)

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago


-- Minutes + Actions
-- TB issues? (Andy)
-- Replace JSG in Online (MOG)
-- MICE website and MICO page etc..
-- Runplan for 2011 -- convergence
-- Organzing for the next FAC
-- "official plots"
-- AOB?

MICE: MICE News - 30 January 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 30 January 2011

The network switches have now been partially repaired, but there is now
scheduled work pulling new connections into the network rack, so the data
mover PC and NAS will remain unavailable for a bit.
Castor will be unavailable next Monday - 31st - during a DB upgrade.

The DSA PPS (personal protection system) is now in use and under the
control of ISIS main control room. If you want to enter the DSA
(during the shutdown) you will need to phone the MCR on x6789 and
while standing outside the gate ask to be let in the MICE DSA area.
If they agree they will use a remote release for the outer door and
you will need to pull it open at the same time.

Please note the MICE Hall PPS is not in use yet.

MICE: MICE News - 24 January 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 24 January 2011

Presentations by Mark Rayner and Alain Blondel given in the open session
for the funding agency committee are located here

The FAC stated that funding is difficult everywhere but maintained for MICE.
Clearly everyone is committed to making MICE a success. The repair process for
the decay solenoid was discussed at length, the committee encouraging us that
getting the repair plan right has to be the highest priority.

Executive Board: Meeting 18 January 2010 (1 comment)

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

-- minutes of previous meeting
-- review of actions
-- Matters arising from TB
-- MOM 2011 and run plan (Alain)
-- MICE magnet group
-- FAC papers and in particular the MICE MOU (Bonesini)
-- spectrometer solenoid repair plan status
--> coupling coils plans
-- conferences and papers (Palladino, Bonesini)
-- a.o.b.

MICE: MICE News - 17 January 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 17 January 2011

1. MOMs are back.
Alain Blondel and Victoria Blackmore are taking up as first MOMs in the year,
the MOM phone is working again.
The MOM rota is being established for 2011, run plan being prepared.
First little issues encountered: no more network in MICE control room!
(Mike Courthold in on the case).
MICE PPS is all installed needs final inspection before operation.

2. MICE funding agency committee on 21 January
open session will be help on 21 January 2011, at RAL
Meeting room CR3, BUILDING R61, Commencing AT 12.30 pm

The MICE Experiment, Present and Future – Alain Blondel
New Results from MICE – Mark Rayner

will be posted on the MICE web site.
Closed session in the afternoon. Papers from MICE for the FAC are the status
report MICE-note 316 and MICE-note 334, as well as the spectrometer solenoid
review report now published as MICE note 335

3. MICE executive board minutes are back
Chris Tunnel has agreed to serve as MICE executive Board secretary and
after some absence (due to the spokesman's laptop adventures) the minutes
of executive board will be published in MICEmine. Minutes from
19 November 2010 have been approved and published.

Next EB on Tuesday 18 January.

MICE: MICE News - 09 January 2011

Added by Tunnell, Christopher over 11 years ago

MICE News - 09 January 2011

Antony WIlson has just set up a new mailing list about the configurations database
<mailto:>. To subscribe send an email to <mailto:> and
include in the body of the text JOIN MICE-CDB Firstname Lastname.

TOF0 refurbishing
Another 12 old Hamamatsu H6523 assemblies have been changed on TOF0,just
before Christmas by Maurizio, Roberto and Antonio with the help
of Willie hall team, following the previous operation done in early
September. This will allow refurbishing of the old ones at
Hamamatsu Japan and probably allow a better performance for TOF0.
HV TOF0 settings will be updated soon.

Power outage.
There will also be a short interruption to the MLCR and rack room supply
associated with the installation of the Hydrogen cryo kit on the afternoon
of Tuesday 11th January.
The controls/EPICS machines will be switched off on Monday evening.
The DAQ PCs will be switched off Tuesday morning
The datamover and mice store PCs will be switched off on Tuesday morning.
Anything else will be switched off cleanly at the same time.
Some machines may not be back on until Wednesday.
All systems administrators should make sure the root passwords are listed
correctly on the sheet in the MLCR!
Micenet will lose DNS, etc. services - that may affect machines in Lab 7 and
R78 as well.
For further details contact Henry Nebrensky (<mailto:>)


Also available in: Atom