This is related to the entry number 78 but I think goes deeper to solve it. It is quite easy to understand why our e-log is nearly unuseable: we have 20 categories and 18 types, 360 possibilities. MICE dont know how to count this far, I certainly cant.
I have uploaded a few slides describing another application of the e-log, as per the NA61 experiment at CERN, and even added the contacts people who have designed the system. I think we should limit the number of streams (i.e. elogs) to 10 or less.
One should not be afraid of edits, only people in the control room should be able to write in the editable elog which is shift summaries.
Question: can the DAQ or EPICS send messages to the elog?
Updated by Coney, Linda almost 10 years ago
- Due date changed from 15 January 2011 to 05 February 2013
- Assignee changed from MOM, Mice Operations Manager to Nebrensky, Henry
Changed assignee to Henry who will implement changes to elog by Feb 2013.
Henry - see above ideas from Alain who originated this topic.
Updated by Nebrensky, Henry almost 10 years ago
Since I don't want to risk breaking the real production eLog which already contains a lot of data, I'm sticking with the two existing attributes called Type and Category but tidying up their options.
Also "Configuration" (change) should be a Type.
Detectors and DAQ
Controls and Monitoring
Not sure about:
MOM daily summary (?)
R9 Testing (?)
Notebooks¶Create new notebooks for:
LH2 system and testing(done) R9 activities
- MOM walkabout - this could have the detailed one entry per item format shown in the slides Alain provided above (slide 2)
- Automated end-of-run entries
Feedback / comments¶
Having "Warning" and "Error" is superfluous - just have "Issue". Someone searching won't know which a problem was reported as
- Personally I don't see these Types (also "Routine") as useful search modifiers in any case; it's more about flagging up the urgency of the issue
- I'd prefer to avoid "Issue" as that's already a MICEmine term (similarly "Problem" vs "Problem Fixed" may clash when doing a visual grep)
- I'm open to aggregating them if we can find the right synonym (or maybe make "Problem Fixed" into "Solution"?)
Have "Warning" and "Error" as sub-options of "Issue"
- I'm worried that this is too drastic a change for the existing notebook - we can't risk breaking it.
- I've considered making the existing "MICE Log" notebook read only and starting a new one with a more appropriate configuration, but this will cause major confusion and also needs weblinks and bookmarks updating all over the place
Must encourage people to make entries - their reactions to events must include thinking to put this in the eLog
- If only we knew how
- Applies also to activities OTHER than full runs of the experiment
Make more short entries during shift, so that people off-site can follow progress - don't leave until one big entry at end
- Shifter training issue
- Also avoids losing write-up so far in a computer glitch!
Updated by Nebrensky, Henry over 9 years ago
- It was agreed at a Collaboration Meeting a long, long time ago that the eLog (now the "MICE log" notebook) should not allow entries to be changed after submission. It would be open to make entries from outside RAL.
- Corrections and updates can be associated with an existing entry using the "Reply" feature.
- For the recently-added R9 notebook, entries may be edited for up to 48hrs, but not deleted.
- This is a deliberate feature to allow building up multiple walkabout checks into a single entry, to make trends easier to see.