Project

General

Profile

Meeting 2014-06-11

Date: 6th June 2014
Time: 15:00 BST
Attendance: A. Dobbs, P. Kyberd, C. MacWaters, E. Overton
Apologies: C. Heidt, C. Hunt

Agenda and Minutes

0. Actions

  • Asymmetric results between trackers: Kalman to extrapolate back to tracker reference surface - C. Hunt, ES
  • Create MICE note of channel mappings end-to-end through hardware, electronics and software - DA
  • DAQ and controls requirements for schedule - DA MU asked DA, he is working on it this week
  • Create comparison plots for channel mapping data - CH

1. Software: AD, ES, CH, ST

1.1 Documentation - AD, ES, CH

  • Base documentation - AD
  • Digitisation - CH, ES
  • Pattern Recognition - AD
  • Track fit - ES
  • MC - CH
  • Geometry, CDB - CH
  • Noise - CH

1.2 Geometry, Calibrations, Configurations, CDB - CH

  • Helium windows not in geometry - CH
  • Get CMM geometry data in to CDB - CH
  • Translate CDB geometry xml into MiceModules format Now able to pull down from CDB but still crashing when try to run sim with it - AD, C. Heidt

Update from C. Heidt: Since last time we've talked I've updated the geometry in the CDB (though there is a minor correction that needs to be added). The way Ryan describes the geometry is slightly different than the way we have been doing it, we rotate Tracker 0 around the y axis, while he multiplies the x position and the z position by -1, functionally this should be the same, but I just want to make sure that we don't introduce some weirdness in how the fibers are implemented. I mean, it shouldn't, but I wanted to make sure. I haven't had a chance to examine the outcome of that yet, I hope to do it today or tomorrow. There has also been some commotion about the He window lately. It may actually be part of the geometry already, but no one is really sure, I'm working with Ryan to test some entries in the CDB to see if they describe the window. I'm hoping to have that done next week. If it isn't there someone needs to add it, I have a meeting with Melissa next week to talk about this. Hopefully she can answer my questions about it so I can move forward with writing the code. The only other thing I question about the geometry is the position of the planes. I've tried to contact Adam Dobbs a number of times on this, hoping to get some help. But he doesn't seem to be responding to my emails....

EDIT Point taken, we are now talking! - AD

1.3 Monte Carlo

  • MC Noise - CH
    • Look at large cpu load
  • ADC smearing needs fixing - CH

1.4 Pattern Recognition - AD

  • Find a way increasing error for low pt tracks and implement

1.5 Online Displays - MU

1.6 Performance

  • Spacepoint efficiency study - CH, AD
  • Bias difference between trackers to be investigate - C. Hunt, ES 99% solved, need to get Kalman to extrapolate back to tracker reference surface
  • Low pt performance - AD
  • Recon emittance vs MC truth emittance study - C. Hunt
  • Spacepoint efficiency study - C. Hunt

1.7 Issues

  • Final track fit - ES
    • Deal with -ve charge
  • Are the latest bug fixes (trackpoint z position missing, etc) in the trunk?

2. DAQ/Calibration/Controls - DA, EO

  • DA to give his requirements for the Hall and the tracker lab, in particular with respect to the Integration Schedule (MU to email)

2.1 MiniDAQ - DA

2.2 Channel Mappings

  • Check our channel mapping from end to end and make sure correct - DA, AD, ES, CH
  • Dig up the old documentation for the electronics channel mapping - DA

2.3 Controls

  • Create controls system - DA

2.4 Hall Probes - MU

2.5. Questions for DA

  • What development work needs to be done e.g. firmware on AFEs? Both DAQ (talk to P. Smith) and slow control side (talk to M. Robinson).
  • What pre-hall installation testing needs to be done in the tracker lab so we can be confident everything works?
  • What setting up, commissioning and calibration work needs to be done in hall?
  • What crates, cables, etc will need for the hall commissioning? How many NIM crates, BNCs, etc etc
DA Response
  • AFE/VLSB firmware updates are on hold. I have not seen an argument that the rates in Step 4 will tax the digitisation to an extent that will impede the experiment, especially if the target rate is changed. DAQ is largely finished except for integration with the new trigger, which needs to be inspected. I will speak with P Smith later this week. M Robinson is no longer involved in any way with the slow control. I am in contact with Pierrick about integration with Run Control, which will be minimal. There is a fully functioning system, and developments are mainly for compliance (with configDB and alarm/archiving).
  • The AFE boards and LVDS cables need to be checked prior to running, however the most likely time for damage is during the installation, not whilst in storage
  • Cryos installed, as well as the second rack. The second hall rack needs the same cables fed through as the first - fibre for CAEN VME controller and BNC for trigger/ISIS RF. The LVDS cabling should be done, as well as the fanout of the trigger and RF cables. The bias needs to be calibrated on noise and verified with LED. The discriminators should be calibrated in case the new target rate limits the DAQ.
  • Whatever is fed to tracker 1 should be mimiced for tracker 2, with the possible exception of the CM fibre if the 1553 cables can reach from the tracker 1 hall rack location to the tracker 2 cryos. There may always be a need for some NIM logic in the rack room, but the new LED system should preclude one in the hall.

3. LED: EO

  • Finished second pulser box - CM
  • Polish fibre ends - CM
  • Make documentation mapping LEDs to areas of tracker illuminated - EO
  • Provide documnetation to Maurizio about whether it would be helpful to fit LED into TOF to help our timing - EO

4. Tracker lab - AB, GB, CM

  • Set up cryostat test system - CM

5. Installation

  • Integration Schedule
    • Current schedule at Integration Schedule - timetable still subject to change (constraints from AFC, etc)
    • Add resource loading? - CM
  • Finish installation manual - GB, MU Done, stick final version on wiki
  • External waveguides
    • New waveguides - GB Will use FermiLab fibres, to be polished at FermiLab
    • Need to QA the external waveguides using Wariwck T2K equipment - MU

Due to conflicts with AFC running and other issues, installation of T2 in SS is now expected in last week of June week or first week of July - MU

Work going on to survey solenoid bore with ISIS people - GB

6. Services in the MICE hall: CM

7. Step IV Analysis Readiness - MU

  • Tracker alignment - MU

8. Risks

  • Daresbury electronics: vacuum, tracker interlocks
  • Reforming external waveguides (could lead to breakage)
  • Leak from cryostat cassettes
  • Northside PRY (not us, but knock effect to us)

9. AoB and summary of actions.

  • CM39 Talks
    • AD: Tracker Recon - How to
    • C. Hunt: Step IV Cooling Analysis
    • CM: Tracker Commissioning

Phone Details

  • The four digit company id: 4673 (callers from outside the UK)
  • The pin number: 419357

Phone numbers:

UK (Imperial College --preferred) 0845 545 4460 English
Austria 0820 4000 1503 English
0820 4000 15 02 German
Belgium 070 35 99 45 English
070 35 99 94 Dutch
070 35 98 66 French
Canada 1 712 432 2832 English
1 712 432 2844 French
Germany 01803 001 178 English
01570 248 8303 English (mobile)
01803 001 177 German
01570 248 8101 German (mobile)
Ireland 0818 270 007 English
Italy 848 390 166 English
848 391 819 Italian
Netherlands 0870 001 901 English
0870 001 909 Dutch
Poland 0801 003 543 English
0801 003 533 Polish
South Africa 087 550 0375 English
Spain 902 885 318 English
902 881 200 Spanish
Sweden 0939 2066 400 English
0939 2066 300 Swedish
Switzerland 0848 560 190 English
0848 560 378 French
0848 560 347 German
0848 560 385 Italian
United Kingdom (PowWowNow) 0844 4 73 73 73 English
United States 1 415 363 0833 English