Update 21 May 2016

Cost to Completion and Status
Added by Kyberd, Paul over 2 years ago

Dear All,

A lot of water has passed under the bridge in the couple of weeks since the MICE-UK cost to completion (CtC) review took place on the 26Apr16.

As I reported at the 05May16 VC (, the CtC panel recommended that the scientific output of Step IV be maximised. Therefore, should a cooling demonstration programme not go forward, the CtC panel recommended that Step IV running be extended such that the full programme defined at the Nov14 meeting of the MICE Project Board ( be completed. Following this recommendation, STFC is now preparing to put in place the resources necessary to allow MICE to run until the end of the summer 2017 ISIS User cycle (Aug17) and to support the subsequent analysis activity.

The CtC panel also recommended that we find a configuration by which the cooling demonstration can be executed that has a cost and risk profile substantially lower than that reported to the cost-to-completion review. The framework for the development of the new configuration as well as the constraints on the eventual programme were outlined at the 05May16 VC and summarised in Work along these lines has been proceeding rapidly over the past couple of weeks.

At very short notice, I was asked by STFC for a briefing on the progress being made on the identification of low-risk, low-cost (descope) option for the cooling demonstration. Colin and I prepared a short memorandum in response; it is posted at: The memo is to be used as input to a paper that is being prepared for submission to the STFC Executive Board (EB). The STFC EB meets next Thursday (26May16) and will consider whether MICE-UK will be invited to bring forward a proposal for the execution of the cooling demonstration.

Much work has been done under considerable pressure by many members of the collaboration. It is now time to take stock of the excellent work that has been done and to discuss the work that is still to come. I’ve therefore arranged an “extraordinary” video conference for:

•     Thursday 26May16 at the usual time (15:00 BST)
A WWW page has been prepared at:

I understand that this time may not convenient for all; in fact the UK university community is taking industrial action next Wednesday and Thursday. However, I believe it to be important to share the information and to broaden the discussion and propose therefore to hold the meeting as defined above.

Appended is one of my periodic updates on progress.

With best wishes …


Status update:

Physics and analysis:
An analysis workshop was held on 19May16 (see

A first meeting between the wise-people and the authors of the emittance paper took place on the 18May16. The meeting was a success, with useful comments on the analysis and the presentation of the information in the MICE Note. The analysis workshop received contributions on the various outstanding systematic studies that are required to tie down the systematic error on the emittance measurement. The present status of the emittance measurement is summarised in the first attachment (taken from V. Blackmore’s talk at the 05May16 VC). Work continues to understand and resolve remaining differences between the Monte Carlo and the data and the remaining systematic issues.

Strides have also been made in the preparation of the scattering measurement. I’ve picked the slide that R. Bayes presented on the results of his analysis in the 3-200 setting as an example (second attachment). Work continues to understand systematic effects and to resolve details in the analysis. The analysis is now sufficiently advanced for wise-people to be appointed so that the results can be prepared efficiently for publication.

The workshop also received presentations on the status of the work on the reconfiguration of the cooling demonstration and discussed at length the pros and cons of the various options. Please do look at the presentations to see how much has been achieved thus far.

It is now important that the cooling-demo design paper is published as soon as possible. It had been the intention to include the reconstruction performance in the paper to document the precision of the experiment. While progress has been made in understanding differences in the upstream and downstream emittance measurement, we now need to decide whether to limit the scope of the paper to the optics and cooling performance of the lattice, leaving the details of the simulated performance of the reconstruction to a subsequent publication.

Step IV:
Steady progress is being made on finalising the details of the Step IV:
• The h/w for the revised QD/QP system for the spectrometer solenoids is now in place. The power supplies have been operated into shorts and the system is now ready for tests to continue next. The commissioning of the system with current in the magnets will then follow;
• Preparations to separate the demineralised water circuit from the “inhibited” water circuit continue. Contractual issues have caused the work to go a little more slowly than we had planned. Therefore contingency plans are being put in place to ensure that the conventional magnets and the superconducting magnets can be run simultaneously in the June/July ISIS User cycle; and
• Work continues to schedule on the LH2 system. The absorber vessel has been “passed fit”, the procurement of the FC-module end flanges is underway and necessary wiring modifications are being carried out in R9. Work on the chiller required for the water-system reconfiguration has displaced work on the H2 gas supply; this work will now be done during the June/July ISIS User Cycle.

Cooling demonstration:
• The components for the PRY are complete and are on their way to RAL.
• The preparation of the single-cavity modules and the RF-power amplifiers proceeds to schedule.